This week we are featuring a holiday classic that has been artfully re-invented by Chef Josiah Citrin of Melisse restaurant in Santa Monica, CA. Chef Citrin is known for his focus on using fresh. local and seasonal ingredients. If you are ever in the LA area, be sure to check out Melisse restaurant which has been awarded (among other honors) Two Stars by Michelin Guide Los Angeles (2008, 2009).
Click here to learn more about Chef Josiah Citrin
Name: Josiah Citrin
Favorite Holiday Recipe: Pecan Crusted Yams
Why this is a favorite holiday recipe: “It’s my favorite of my mother’s holiday recipes.”
How your BlueStar range / oven helps make it perfect: “The precise simmer burner gently cooks the yams to perfection. The high heat from the 22,000 BTU UltraNova burner speeds up the boil and scald time, making it easier to double the recipe for a crowd.”
Recipe: Pecan Crusted Yams
- 5lbs – yams, peeled and cut into 1″ pieces
- 8 TBS – butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup – Milk
- 1/2 cup – Brown Sugar
- Put the yams in a pot and cover with cold water. Add 1 tablespoon of salt per quart of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until the yams are soft. Strain the yams and transfer to the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the butter, eggs and brown sugar and beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Scald the milk and add it to the yam mixture, mix well.
- Transfer to a baking dish and spread the mixture evenly throughout the dish.
- 2 cups – Brown sugar
- 2 cups – Cream
- 4 cups – Toasted and chopped pecans
- 2 Vanilla beans, split and scraped
- 1 tsp – Salt
- 1 tsp -Ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp – Ground nutmeg
- 8 TBS – Butter
- Melt 2 TBS of butter, add cream, sugar, pecan, vanilla and spices. Whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil whisking often. Reduce to a simmer and cook for five minutes mixing often. Remove from the heat.
- Bring to boil, reduce to simmer and cook for five minutes mixing.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Pour the pecan praline mix over the yams. Spread the mix evenly over the yams and bake in pre-heated 375° oven for 20 minutes or until a cake tester can be inserted and removed without any yam mixture on it. Let cool for 5 minutes and serve.
- This can be made a day ahead and reheated in a 350° oven.