Iron Chef and BlueStar All Star Chef Michael Symon brings us our latest fall cooking recipe. This is a more gourmet version of the good-old broccoli-and-cheddar gratin thanks to the aromatic Gruyere. Don’t forget the crunchy topping!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups broccoli florets (from 1 small head)
- Kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions, white and green parts
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs, toasted
- Put a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil followed by the broccoli and a good pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook until the garlic becomes fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium, add the cream and nutmeg, and cook until the cream reduces slightly and the broccoli is cooked through about 2 minutes. Add the Gruyere and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cheese is melted, about 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the scallions, top with the panko, and serve.